The type of climate in the city is one contributory factor to the urban heat effect, wherein people in the inner city experience hotter temperature than the surrounding rural areas. That’s why if you live in hot city, you need to ensure that your roofing minimizes heat absorption, causing a hot summer and increased electricity bills during the summer months.
If your roof is worn out, it needs restoration. Even if you don’t see any visible signs of damage, roofing restoration can help prolong the lifespan of your roof, protecting it from the harsh elements, such as the sun rays, rain, and snow. In this post, you’ll learn some helpful roof restoration tips for you to keep your roof in spectacular shape and know when to call a roofer. Let’s get started!
1.Consider Upgrading to a Cool Roof
A roof that specifically is designed and engineered to reflect heat and energy from the sun is called a cool roof. It is one of the highly recommended roofing restorations. Traditional dark roofs absorb heat; that’s why the indoor heat spikes to as much as 50 degrees hotter than when a cool roof is used.
The increasing temperature can tremendously affect and cause a burden to homeowners, most especially during the summer months. Using a cool roof is an energy-efficient solution to save on energy bills and keep the home more relaxing and tolerable.
Here are some tips to achieve a cool roof:
- Consider retrofitting your roof or coating it with a reflective material.
- Replace your old roof with a cool roof material such as reflective tiles or metal roofing.
- Install a green roof. You can set up a rooftop garden so you can plant some grass, create a vegetable garden, or grow some blooms.
- Adding insulation in the attic space can stop the heat from penetrating further through your home.
2.Clean and Maintain Your Roof
The roof is continuously bombarded by the elements, like rain or thunderstorms, causing algae stains. Always clean and maintain your roof to prevent a buildup of mold, mosses, mildew, and lichen colonies, which can put your roof at risk or make it prone to breakage.
Here are some cleaning and maintenance tips:
- Cut down or prune overhanging tree branches or limbs on your roof regularly. Your roofing may also suffer from bird droppings and dried leaves.
- Wash your roof to bring back its life and true colors. It will also protect against further damage caused by organic growth. Contact a roofing contractor using eco-friendly roof cleaning agents.
- Never power wash your roof because it may get easily damaged.
- An annual roof inspection by a professional is highly recommended to repair any minor issues before they become major problems. Roof restoration is a lot cheaper than roof replacement.
3.Apply Protective Coating
Use a reliable and durable paint to protect your roof. It will make it tougher, stronger, and more flexible to changes in temperature. Apply elastomeric roof paint, such as acrylic, polyurethane, or butyl. A trusted and roofing contractor can help you choose the best protective waterproof coating, sealant, and roof paint for your home.
4.Ensure Proper Attic Ventilation
A failing attic has inadequate ventilation, which may lead to serious roofing issues. A poorly ventilated attic can cause the room temperature to climb up to 150 degrees during summer. It will cause damage to your roof. Moisture pockets may linger when there is poor ventilation, leading to wood decay of roofing structure and mold growth.
Here are some tips to ensure your attic has proper ventilation:
- Check any water damage and areas compressed by stored objects or foot traffic. Use ridge vents. Make sure that the vents have an evenly distributed layout.
- Insulate your attic. Install an adequate amount of insulation around electrical wiring and fixtures, as well as plumbing chases.
5.Get Solar Panels
Consider getting solar panels to reflect the heat of the sun away and take the energy in, converting it to clean electricity for your household. These will also prevent heat from entering your house.
Depending on the extent of the roof damage by years of use or after a storm, a roof restoration or replacement is deemed necessary at some point in time. Roofing restoration is applicable if there are only minor issues, such as paint warp, dents, and a few holes, and if there’s a solid roofing foundation. This decision is, of course, influenced by the inspection and recommendation of a roofing professional.